Does Hooked on Phonics Work? It’s proven that phonics works. Sounding out words by knowing the letter and the sound we make when we say it. Put them together, and that’s reading. At least the beginning stages of reading.
You’ve heard of Hooked on Phonics. Hooked on Phonics started in 1987 when a father wanted to help his son with his reading struggles. He developed an in-home phonics learning program and it caught on. It continues to evolve today. They have added an app with fun songs and games to keep kids eager to learn and having fun while they do.
This learn-to-read program is for young beginning readers, ages 3-8. The program is continually developed by parents, leading educators, interactive designers, and writers. They use a very hands-on approach to create the best content for kids. Each lesson is designed to take 20 minutes or less. That way, kids don’t lose interest. But some parents report their kids keep playing much longer than that.
There are multiple packages to choose from, from simple Learn to Read packages at varying levels up to the Ultimate Bundle with materials for all levels, including Learn To Read and Learn To Spell.
The basic Learn to Read package comes with:
4 Original Storybooks written to reinforce the skills your child learns in the program (titles vary depending on the level you choose)
– Pop! Pop! Pop!
– The Letter Hunt
– Follow That Ball
– Make Room for Zelda
– 2 Bonus Books by the award-winning children’s book author and illustrator David McPhail
– 2 Workbooks that will guide you and your child through all of the lessons and many fun activities
– 2 Sets of Stickers to proudly display in the workbooks and celebrate reading success
– 4 Sets of Letters and Picture Flashcards designed to reinforce letter names and letter sounds
– 2 DVDs filled with music videos and fun introductions to each lesson, where letters come to life
– Video streaming online of all DVD content and additional bonus content on MyHOP (My.HookedonPhonics.com)
The Ultimate Learn To Read Bundle includes:
- 36 Original Storybooks written to reinforce the skills your child learns in the program, including 8 books written by award-winning children’s book authors such as Rosemary Wells and David McPhail.
- 8 Workbooks that will guide you and your child through all of the lessons and many fun activities
- 8 DVD’s filled with music videos and fun introductions to each lesson, where letters come to life.
- Video streaming of All DVD content is available online or on any device.
- 8 Sets of Stickers to proudly display in the workbooks and celebrate reading success
- 2 Sets of Letters and Picture Flashcards designed to reinforce letter names and letter sounds
- Online access to MyHOP (My.HookedonPhonics.com) for all lessons and bonus content.
- Reading Fun Pack containing an Activity Pad with more than 90 brain-building activities, and a Make-a-Book Kit – everything your child needs to be the author of his or her own book.
- Lifetime Access to our #1 Rated Digital App. A $50 Value included!
Related Article: Reading Books for Kids
This program works great!
My son is so excited about learning from it. He pops in the DVD and watches it himself. By the time we sit to do an activity, I don’t even have to help him. He reads the words and stories by himself and the extra activities online adds to his excitement. No regrets here! Thank you for a great and easy to use program! Anika A., mother of one
Life changing! I started with Pre-K and Kindergarten Levels and my 3-year-old son worked in those books and one day out of the blue he started reading! I decided to purchase the online app with lifetime membership too.
He’s 4 years old now and he completed all the lessons last month. His reading skills are amazing and we’re now working on grammar and reading big classic English books! He’s reading storybooks to his 3-year-old sister.
This is an amazing program and I highly recommend beginners to use the physical books and incorporate the digital app too! Thank you, Hooked on Phonics! You guys changed my life! Fay Thomas, mother of two
This program is this best program I have used!
This program is this best program I have used. Thanks to hooked on phonics my daughter was reading at the age of 4 on a second-grade level and now in gifted classes in her school. My 2-year-old son also is beginning to read all thanks to this program. I am so grateful for how easy, effective and intriguing the material is. Thank you hooked on phonics! Mommy’s can’t go wrong with this product! Toya C., parent
And there’s more on their website…#1 Learn To Read Program!
Does It Work?
Well, you can’t argue with 33 years of experience and more than 5 million families finding reading success. Even a lot of schools and daycare centers use Hooked on Phonics. That’s impressive to me.
You can feel good about their quality and that your child or grandchild will develop a love of reading and learning. I believe that Hooked On Phonics has stood the test of time and still works today.
Thank you for reading today. If you have questions, comments or experience with Hooked on Phonics, I’d love to hear from you. Just add it to the Comments section below. Your privacy is protected. Thank you!